- How to orient the TRs with integrated PCB antenna?
The TR module should be placed in vertical or horizontal position according to the antenna polarization needed for given application. E.g. if there is a need to have the best range in the horizontal plane, all TR modules with built-in PCB antenna (e.g. TR-76DA) should be placed in vertical positions. See the antenna radiation patterns in TR datasheet.
Examples of the correct and incorrect arrangement of TR-72DA pairs
Antenna-orientation.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 271 times
- Is it possible to use antennas from 3rd party manufacturers?
- Is it possible to use one's own built-in PCB antenna?
Yes. This must be designed by an RF expert. The antenna should have 50 Ω impedance. The range will depend on the antenna construction, location on the board with respect to the surroundings, antenna orientation etc.
- Is it possible to have designed a user-specific antenna by IQRF manufacturer?
Yes. Contact the IQRF support.
- Is it possible to communicate between TRs with different antennas?
Yes. But the polarization with respect to given antenna orientation must comply.
- What antenna cable should be used?
In general, higher cable length and lower cable diameter mean higher RF attenuation.
CAB-U.FL/SMA and CAB-U.FL cables from IQRF accessories are recommended.
3rd party coaxial 50 Ω impedance cables fitting the KON-U.FL-R-SMT connector is also possible.
In both cases above, there are some restrictions on short cable lengths with respect to given RF band. See the recommendation on CAB-U.FL/SMA product page.